Hose pipes can easily create a mess and get in your way of getting a job done. One solution around this is to install a retractable hose reel. It is a great way to save space, which helps keep your garden/yard a tidy place.
Furthermore, it protects the hose pipe from unwanted damage with its auto-rewind mechanism; this eases storage of the hose and saves the pipe from twists and tears.
If you want to know how to set up wall mount and retractable hose reel, this article will give you some insights. It is a moderately easy task, and the end results will surely fulfill your purpose.
Getting Started – What Tools Do You Need?
The task of installing a wall-mounted hose reel can be completed by a few basic tools, which you probably already have at home. Before getting started, you should choose a spot for the installation. Analyze the free space you have and where you need it to be placed for the most convenience.
After you have chosen a spot, make sure that you have a mounting plate. Mounting plates are generally sold as a part of the package with retractable hose reels. But if your model is missing one, you should get a mount fabricated.
After the product is ready for installation, make sure that you have the following tools at hand –
- A drill with a masonry drill bit.
- A flat-head screwdriver.
- A hammer.
- A pencil or a pen to mark positions to drill.
- Screws; check if it is already provided with the package.
- Royal plugs for the screws or silicone to ensure moisture does not spread on the wall through the hole.
- Level device (optional).
Once you have all the tools, you can start installing the hose reel.
Step By Step Guide to Install Retractable Hose Reel
Step – 1: The first thing to do is make sure that you have all the fixtures provided with your hose reel. You may have to separate the hose reel from the wall mount, which can be done by loosening a small screw.
Step – 2: Next, place the wall mount on the wall and find out which position is the most convenient. Make sure that it is not too far from the tap/faucet that will run water to the hose.
Step – 3: After finding the correct position for the mount, use a pencil or pen to mark holes in the mount on the wall. If you have a level device, use it to ensure that you are holding the mount straight.
Step – 4: Once you have marked the spots for drilling, you have to drill the holes using the masonry drill bit. Generally, these mounts require 8mm bits but read the brochure in the package to know the correct size. Start slow and once a small hole appears, drill harder.
Step – 5: If the package does not come with plugs, use a royal plug. Stick it in the holes and hammer them as far as they go. If you are using a silicone tube, fill the hole with it, and ensure the wall surface remains flat. Retractable hose reels usually have 4 bolts/screws.
Step – 6: Now, you have to fix the wall mount by placing it in line with the holes you drilled. If the package has fixtures to place on the mount, place them, and if it does not have fixtures, screw in the wall mount tightly. Do not screw it too tight, though, as it may cause cracks in the hole.
Step – 7: Next, if you had the reel taken off before installing the mount, put it back in place and screw it tightly.
Step – 8: The final step is to connect the waterline of the hose to the tap/faucet.
Some Basic Tips and Information
- The drill bit required should be 8mm, but check it by reading the guide that comes in the package. Do not make compromises for quality, as a good drill bit will make the process much smoother. It also has a lower risk of breaking, which could lead to cracks in the wall.
- You can color the screws’ heads to match it with the color of the reel to enhance the looks.
- Most hose reels come with poor-quality screws and mounts. If you feel they are not sturdy enough, do not hold back to get better ones because hose reels are considerably heavy. Weak screws and mounts may cause the reel to fall off the wall.
- It is necessary to be very accurate about the distance of your desired installation spot from the tap/faucet that will supply water to it.
- Retractable hose reels usually come in 10m, 20m, and 30m options. Getting a hose too small may lead to hassle as it cannot be used to cover the entire area. A larger hose, even though more costly, can turn out to be more beneficial than anticipated.
- The recommended height for mounting the reel is between 3 to 5 feet.
- Do not over-tighten the screws as it may damage the thread that holds them. It may also cause the wall to crack.
Retractable hose reels are very nice to have if you know about the hassle of traditional hose reels. It keeps the hose pipe safe and intact for years to come as it rewinds the entire hose into storage on its own. It may seem to be a daunting task to install a hose reel, but it is actually not so hard!
Just be careful with the drilling machine as it can cause injury if not handled with caution. If you were thinking about how to set up wall mount and retractable hose reel, we hope to have provided you with the insight that you needed.